Tuesday 29 May 2012

My Bulgarian Grandad.

This grandad is not my grandad, I don't have any any more. But he is the closest thing I could ever have. His nickname is "the Bulgarian" and how he acquired it is a story of old, told with the syntax and references of different times.
He goes to the village coffee shop to meet his friends and siblings twice a day; but has only one coffee. He tells great stories and laughs with his heart. Frequently he accidentally calls people on his mobile phone. Every Saturday he goes to the cemetery to visit his wife. He likes young people and especially girls. He loves his granddaughters and his best friend must be his grandson-in-law. He doesn't mind being teased and speaks German. He tries to keep low and stay out of trouble. And he takes pride in his garden. He takes care of the plants and will pick his artichokes, peppers and beans daily. He has all sorts of crops. Sometimes he even takes me up there to show me.

Come to think of it, I think he is my grandad after all. And I'm happy for it.

1 comment:

  1. great story there John... He'll love it! I did :)

    ReplyDelete